What we fund
Our approach to funding
As with all our grant-making, Zurich Community Trust’s Local Grant programmes support organisations that help improve the quality of life for disadvantaged people. This includes organisations that are charitable in nature as well as registered charities.
We have limited funds and this means we have to lay down strict criteria for giving. It also means we follow a rigorous process to ensure we fund organisations with real impact. Where possible, we work with these organisations to create positive and lasting change.
We do also fund specific running costs such as salaries, purchases or project costs.
What we do fund
We support organisations that help people facing day to day challenges in their life. This includes any one or combination of the following areas (although we’re happy to discuss other issues):
Physical disability/learning difficulties
NEETS - young people not in education, employment or training
What we don't fundWe are sorry if what you are seeking support for is covered on the list of exclusions below:
- Applications by an individual for any purpose or on behalf of an
individual e.g. personal medical equipment, expeditions, exchanges
or study tours.
- Medical research
- Statutory organisations including mainstream schools and hospitals -
unless exclusively for a special needs group
- Animal welfare charities
- Conservation or environmental projects - unless specifically to help
or involving disadvantaged people
- Political organisations
- Organisations exclusively supporting military-based activity
- Organisations promoting any religious belief
- Sports clubs, village halls, playgroups and mother and toddler groups - unless
wholly supporting disadvantaged people
- Scouts, Girl Guides, Cadets and other similar organisations - unless specifically
supporting disadvantaged children
- Secondary giving - ie we only award grants to organisations directly supporting
- Fundraising events including appeals or events for national charities
- Advertising or sponsorship connected with charitable activities
Where we fund
Our Local Grant programmes operate across the UK and work hard to create and develop strong relationships with charities in local communities close to Zurich's offices.
Many Zurich offices in the UK do now have charitable multi-year partnerships in place at a local level. However, we still welcome grant applications from local organisations operating in or around the following locations. Click on the locations to find out more.
If you are a UK registered charity operating overseas, and are seeking funding support, please visit our Overseas Grant programme page.